Maison Mottheau et Fils of Paris.
1900 Universal Exhibition in Paris
The fixture features three Cornucopia (The cornucopia or horn of plenty is a symbol of abundance and nourishment, commonly a large horn-shaped container overflowing with produce, flowers or nuts. The horn originates from classical antiquity. Each with two arms with electrified candle sticks and a central light with a electrified candlestick, and is in the style of the designs of Pierre Gouthiere (1740-1806), the bronzier famous for his commission from the court of King Louis XVI.
The Mottheau firm was a leading designer and producer of bronze for prestigious cabinet makers in Paris. Also known for their lighting fixtures, the firm won critical acclaim at the 1900 Paris Exhibition. They were known for their collaboration with leading sculptors, and their line of exceptional chandeliers, wall lights, candelabra and torcheres. With respect to their exhibition at the 1900 Universal Exhibition in Paris, Art Journal stated: "The French Section shows many examples of fine work applied under the new conditions, but we doubt if a more complete success is to be recorded to the credit of any exhibitor than can be conceded to Messieurs Mottheau et fils" (Lit: The Art Journal, The Paris Exhibition 1900 - An Illustrated Record of its Art, Architecture and Industrie, London, 1900, pp. 86-7). Mottheau was one of the leading bronziers in Paris in the late 19th and early 20th century. They were known for their collaboration with leading sculptors, and their line of exceptional chandeliers, wall lights, candelabra and torcheres.Provenance:
Private Collection New York
Le Trianon Fine Art & Antiques
Height 38 in. Diameter 32 in.